Saturday, January 26, 2013

She has my HEART


One of my students in my health club truly is a bright star :)  Every time I talk her face lights up, and she hides her face in her hands.  Just as much as she was drawn to me, I was to her.  Her name is Sophia, and I've decided to have her live with me.  She comes from a neighboring village, and walks an hour and a half, one way, to school each day.  Sophia has taken this walk since she was 6, and leaves every morning, without breakfast, hiking the worst path I've ever seen, to get an education. (I wanted to put up pictures of the mountains I climbed, the sand I slid down, and the eroded cracks/crevices I walked in to get to her house, but I forgot my camera).  Not only does she walk this distance one way without food, but then studies all day, and returns, without eating once.  How one can concentrate (and still be number 4 in her class) I have no idea!  However, for the time being, it won't be something I have to fathom because I've decided I want her to live with me :)

She's going to live at my house, and be 4 minutes from school, where she can easily study, and eat 3 full meals a day.  I'm not sure if she is more excited to live with me, or me with her, but she is moving in Sunday.  I recently went to my banking town and bought her a mattress, a solar light, and stocked my house with food.  Next month, I want to buy her more clothes, better school supplies, and a frame for her bed.  However, for now, my house is a step up!  She was living communal style, in mud huts, with her entire extended family.  I know she was helping with household duties, and still managed to excel at school.  I can only imagine what she'll be able to do this year!  I think more than anything I'm excited to watch myself grow and evolve as I live these next 9 months with her.  If just walking to her house was a humbling experience, I can't wait to see what the future holds, and we are able to teach each other!!

No comments:

Post a Comment