Saturday, January 1, 2011

December 30. 2010

Today (which seems so long ago because it's really January 1st) we had our first day of lectures.  I'll start by saying we were on time! I even made it to breakfast!  I must say breakfast here is heavier than at home but every bit of delicious...there is so much variety.  Lunch and dinner however are served much later in the day, so that could be why. 

Class was to be held at CDS, Center for Development Studies.  We left the hotel around 9am to spend the day there, learning and touring.  We hopped out of the van and all began snapping pictures immediately-the landscape and infrastructure were like none I'd ever seen.  I had no idea, until class for the next few days all the thought behind creating such work.  Below you can finally see a few of the wonderful, wonderful people I'm abroad with, and the architecture of the buildings (which a little I'll describe) and the the landscape.





  Words cannot describe how honored I felt to be in the presence of P.B. Sajan in particular. 
 Since the death of Architect Laurie Baker, he now runds COSTFORD, which stands for Center of Science and Technology For Rural Development.  They have built 25,000 cost and environmental effective buildings throughout India, with a majority of them being for the poor population.  COSTFORD sponsors our trip, lectures and tours, and I am vey, very greatful for each piece of knowledge transferred and the experience they have put so much time into preparing for us.  COSTFORD is a non profit and most of their housing programs are funded by the government.  I have so much respect for the organization because their philosophies and practices extend well beyond the infrastrucutres they build.  Their goals are to teach self sufficiency, promote low cost housing while removing negative connotations associated with them and promote education through their work, as they believe that is the only means to improvement.  (And I agree!)

During lecture I felt so overwhelmed with information!  I didn't want to write things down because I didn't want to miss the next thing being said...but at the same time I was afraid (for lack of being able to multi-task well) as I wrote, it'd be hard to listen and pick back up in the lecture.  (This due to the slight language barrier)  I felt as though my pen wouldn't move fast enough! Below are a few pictures of us in class =)




Class today consisted of learning of the three organizations we would be involved with, (CDS, COSTFORD and The Laurie Baker Center for Habitat Studies)  A quote from my journal:  "I need to reflect on all the information passed along so that I can retain it.  I feel like I need to debrief =)"  Today we also met Dr. K.P. Kannan, a social economist who is very prestigious in India, and he spoke with us about the history of Kerala.  I enjoyed the portion of his lecture where he discussed Human Development Indicators as well as the growth and development of the country. 

Lunch today consisted of cabbage (my favorite!) and a fish curry (my favorite)!  I write this only to say we ate our first meal with our hands!!!!  Too bad I didn't take pictures, sorry!  By the end of the meal, and since I've got it down, but initially I felt as though each bite missed my mouth! 

After lunch, we went on a tour of CDS and I'll let the pictures that proceed speak for me.  You should know however, the thought, time and effort behind the design....and so you can understand the pictures.  The walls are layered for ventilation and heating/cooling purposes.  All rooms function inside with natural sunlight and the buildings have been positions in a manner to maximize sunlight while reducing heat.  Each brick is layered strategically, demonstrating a circular shape v one that is upright to handle pressures from all sides, and of course, they are cost efficent, made with brick and cement (or lime cement).  The bricks are not manufactured but made locally, placing money back into the hands of the local economy!





 The story behind the picture below is simple....Laurie Baker loved mangos...and the story behind them in relation to India...and so they were in all of his designs...and everywhere....and now below:
The Library at CDS is below...a very important part of campus, as it is the largest library in Kerala containing 7 floors.  A special addition to the library is the top floor in which there is a view of all of Kerala, and a few pictures follow, showing that as well.




We ended the day with shopping at Fabindia where I bought two shirts I am very excited to wear back in the states.  I will end this blog with wonderful pictures I took of the market outside of CDS, as we prepared to leave....and I prepare to write my next blog!









No comments:

Post a Comment